Do you have some unresolved issues? Could you benefit from EMDR therapy? To find out, take this brief self-test.
- Think of something that bothers you.
- What negative feelings are you experiencing?
- What negative thought do you have? Examples: I am worthless, I am not good enough, I am not safe, I am a bad person.
- Now, allow yourself to float back to an earlier time, perhaps sometime in childhood with your parents, when you felt and thought the same way. When was that time?
- If you have identified an earlier time, on a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is no disturbance and 10 is as high as you can imagine, how distressing are these feelings right now?
- If you rated this memory at a “2” or higher, then that memory has become stuck and could benefit from being reprocessed with EMDR. If you rated that memory at a 3 or higher, that painful memory could be negatively impacting you.
The EMDR therapy FAQ can also provide more helpful information.
The above EMDR therapy self-assessment quiz is gratefully used with the permission of Roy Kiessling, the EMDRIA approved consultant who developed it.